Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Idea of the Day!

With the advent of affordable creative programs in all artistic fields, I believe it's safe to say that there are more people now with the potential to be creative then ever before. For example, with the purchase of a Macbook you are already off to a running start with garageband if you wish to become the next rock legend or big time producer, and with iMovie you can pursue the film making career you may have thought about in the past. Obviously many will never explore these amazing gateway-programs or even open them, for those there will always be a Facebook or Myspace to check up on what there cousin's best friend's girlfriend is doing next weekend. If you have a computer that comes with any type of program like the ones I mentioned, please at least open them up and give them a shot! It might seem foreign to you, but I am telling you it will open your mind to a lot of new things you may have never thought of before. Youtube is now a learning tool (imagine that,) and though you may have to sort through the latest internet sensations to find the free educational videos on many of these programs, it is well worth the time. I had to watch many of these videos to learn Pro-Tools LE to record the new Trivium demos, and my prior experience with Pro-Tools has been close to nothing and I think I did a pretty good job for what we needed to accomplish. 

Now for my idea! I would like to begin making music with the intent of not being shared for just listening, but to allow others to use it to create projects with or incorporate into. I have seen others do similar things, Trent Reznor leading this trend by far. He is always doing great remix contests and free giveaways with the intention not always being monetizing every second of music he makes. I believe this shows strength of his music, because many choose to buy everything he releases anyway (I definitely have bought my fair share) and he is always engaging his audience. Now my idea is a little less structured because I want there to be no boundary to what is created. The importance will be honoring credits as opposed to paying royalties. This is still just a thought, but I would love to try it if others are interested in having fun and experimenting with there own creative abilities. 

Now I don't consider myself a musical genius by any means, but I am competent with writing, playing and now recording with music programs like Logic and even Pro-Tools to a smaller extent. Since purchasing the new Canon Rebel, I even am starting to dabble in the photography and video side of the art spectrum. I am fortunate to have access to a lot of very talented people in all these fields, and I am always trying to glean every little bit of knowledge from them that I can. Nowadays being just a musician is not enough (at least for me) and having useful skills to enhance yourself makes you much more valuable. 

I will continue to think about this idea and actually make it come together on a day when I am free of my top priority, Trivium. 

5 comments:

  1. Which Canon Rebel did you get exactly?

    And that sounds like a fantastic idea. Very, very intriguing.

    So are you talking about making some different loops, 'beats', etc.? Or are you talking about constructing entire pieces and giving the stems out for free so people can mix, remix, cover, add vocals, master, etc.?
    What genre are you looking at doing(if you have one in mind)? Are you wanting to make music that you are feeling at that time, or a certain style all around?

    I don't mean to babble on with questions, but this subject is very interesting to me. I'd definitely love to hear what you come up with and even mix and edit some myself.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the T2i, it's really a great buy for what you get.

    I am not sure, there is a million things I could probably do, it would just have to be whatever I think of in that moment. I wouldn't approach it like writing a song for vocals, but it would be cool if someone could turn it into that. I also envision people using music that others make for their videos, or art projects. It's kind of an open ended idea that I think could become something down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a rad camera. Great pick.

    Ah, I see what you mean. Like...you're just planning on writing whatever it is you want. Whereas if you're writing for Trivium you guys obviously have a 'sound' going for you. Or am I mistaken?

    But I'd still be way interested in hearing what you come up with. It's always awesome hearing what musicians do musically aside from their 'main' band. For instance...Fiend Without a Face, the side project with the Mastodon dudes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paolo, give me music to inspire a painting or pastel work. Something without words that i can feel and put it to a canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a program called shortcircuit. It is a free internet sampler you can download off the website http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php. It doesn't come with sounds installed, and took me a while to finally set it up (you can find instructions elsewhere on the internet), and there are plenty of sound kits you can download for free that can be imported and then played with the tool. You can also record and use other programs to put sounds into it, and then use a keyboard, the instrument kind, and play the samples with it.

    ReplyDelete